Austin Comedy Short Film Festival
Fall 2017 Official Selection
The Tug, Directed by Nic Barker
The comedy short film, The Tug, is an official selection of the Austin Comedy Short Film Festival Fall 2017.
The Tug: The Story Behind the Story
We caught up with the The Tug Film Crew, for a behind-the-scenes look at the production of this comedy film.
- Why did you think that your film was a good fit for the Austin Comedy Short Film Festival? "Have screened at Austin Comedy Short Film Festival before with a comedy with a similar tone so thought it'd be great to submit again!"
- What inspired you and your team to make this film and how did you come up with the title? "The Tug was just an idea that sprang to my mind out of nowhere and I thought it would be a fun project to bring to life. I was also interested in shooting it on 16mm as I wanted to push myself and shoot on that format. The title was a natural fit - a play on words between what the audience expects, and what they get!"
- What made the actors interested in being a part of your film? "I had worked with both lead actors on a previous film and wrote with them in mind - after our successful working relationship in the past, they signed on because we'd all had such a good time together!"
- How were you able to get the locations for your film? "We shot in the actors' house! They are a real-life couple and we wanted to film in a space we had complete control of, and that the actors were comfortable in."
- Can you talk about your sources of funding and favors that you received to complete this film? "Fully self-funded, but I work as a camera technician at a rental house so was able to borrow the 16mm camera under the guise of learning how to use it!"
- Has creating this short film helped the careers of the people involved in any way? "Not in any huge way, but it's a fun, small little skit and we're very happy to have it screen for audiences around the world!"
- What were some of the challenges that you encountered while making this film? "None really - was a very smooth shoot!"
- In what city and state was this film shot on location? "Melbourne, Australia"
- Can you tell us about a time when something really funny happened on set, that didn't get caught on camera? "Because we had to really conserve our film stock, there were no real outtakes - we had a great time making the film together but nothing super crazy really happened!"
- Can you list any awards, nominations or official selections for this film? "2017 The Brightside Tavern Shorts Fest (Jersey City, New Jersey, USA) Nominee - Best International Film 2017 Los Angeles Cinefest (Los Angeles, USA) Semi-Finalist 2017 F3: Frankly Film Fest (Ohio, USA) In Competition - Best Short Film 2017 Big Water Film Festival (Ashland, Wisconsin, USA) In Competition - Best Short Short Film 2017 Roselle Park Short Film Festival (New Jersey, USA) Nominee - Best Foreign Comedy 2017 Highway 61 Film Festival (Pine City, Minnesota, USA) In Competition - Best Comedy Short 2017 Top Indie Film Awards (USA) Nominee - Best Humor 2017 Southern Shorts Awards (USA) WINNER - Award of Excellence in Screenwriting - Nic Barker WINNER - Award of Merit in Acting - Chris Gibson WINNER - Award of Merit in Acting - Hannah Thiesz WINNER - Award of Merit in Cinematography - Filip Laureys WINNER - Award of Merit in Direction - Nic Barker WINNER - Award of Merit in Editing - Nic Barker WINNER - Award of Merit in Music - Eugenio Nem WINNER - Award of Merit in Producing - Nic Barker WINNER - Award of Merit in Production Design WINNER - Award of Merit in Sound Design - Brendan Muller 2017 Outlaw Film Festival (Missouri, USA) 2017 Barrie Film Festival (Barrie, Canada) 2017 Zed Fest Film Festival (California, USA)"