"The Most Interesting Man in Dave's Mind"
The comedy short screenplay, The Most Interesting Man in Dave's Mind, is an official selection of the Austin Comedy Short Film Festival Fall 2017.
- Links: Facebook | Pinterest | LinkedIn | Twitter
- Category: Short Screenplay
- Screenwriter: Amanda R. Martinez
- Tagline: “His whole life, Dave has allowed himself to be ruled by his inner critic, leaving him frustrated and wondering if he's a failure. But just as he's about to make a huge mistake that could cost him his dreams, his principles, and a chance at love, Dave meets the Most Interesting Man in his mind."
Amanda R. Martinez Biography
Amanda is an award-winning writer based in New York City. Her screenplay "Anatomically Modern Human for President" won its category for best short comedy script at the 2017 Nashville Film Festival. Her first indie short film "Steady the Pour" will be released in the fall of 2017. Amanda has a masters degree in science journalism from MIT and a bachelors in playwriting from Yale.
The Story Behind the Story
- What is the title of your screenplay and why did you think that your screenplay was a good fit for the Austin Comedy Short FF? “My family's from Texas and I've been to Austin a few times. I just thought the script's humor would jibe with the city's sensibilities.”
- What inspired you to write this screenplay and how did you come up with the title? “I wanted to point out what a shame it is that an unethical man like Craig can have confidence in spades while our principled hero, Dave, lacks the courage of his convictions. That is, until he meets The Most Interesting Man in His Mind …”
- What was your inspiration for some of the characters in your screenplay? “Craig and Dave's relationship is based on the one between Donald Trump and Tony Schwartz, the ghostwriter who, we now know, wrote "The Art of the Deal," the bestselling book that made Trump, in the eyes of so many of his supporters, a businessman worthy of worship. In June 2016, Schwartz told The New Yorker that he felt a "deep sense of remorse" for helping Trump to gain attention and come across as way more likable than he really is. "I put lipstick on a pig," Schwartz said. The Most Interesting Man in Dave's Mind is a mash-up between the Dos Equis spokesman and James Bond -- 10x charisma, folks!”
- In your mind, where do you see this story taking place and why? “I see it as a modern story, directly tied to our current political and cultural moment. But in production, I'd hope to see a few ominous details that hint at the mid-'80s, when Schwartz would've been observing Trump to write "The Art of the Deal."
- Do you have plans to fund the production of this film independently? If so, where are you at, in the process? “Yes, we've raised some initial funds and are currently looking for a director who loves the script.”Can you list any awards, nominations or official selections for this film? “2nd Place Winner - Screenplay Short - Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival; Official Selection - Austin Comedy Short Film Festival”
So proud that my short script “The Most Interesting Man in Dave’s Mind” was chosen to be part of this fest. Thanks Austin! . . . . . . #shortscript #acsff #officialselection #austincomedyshortfilmfestival #film #cinema #filmfestival #comedy #writerslife #austin #dontmesswithtexas #ilovetexas #texaspride #laurels #indiefilm #shortfilm #independentfilm #screenwriting #screenplay