Austin Comedy Short Film Festival
Fall 2017 Official Selection
Texas Cotton Directed by Tyler Russell
The comedy short film, Texas Cotton, directed by Tyler Russell, is an official selection of the Austin Comedy Short Film Festival Fall 2017.
- Film Title: "Texas Cotton"
- Director: Tyler Russell | IMDb
- Runtime: 10 Minutes
- Category: Comedy Short Film
- Tagline: "A Texas Sheriff finds nothing is simple deep in the heart of the Hill Country."
- Facebook | Website
- Review: "A fun film with some Texas police humor. You can only imagine what kind of strange people and situations that law enforcement encounters on a daily basis. The comic relief of the clueless deputy really stands out and generated a lot of laughs for the audience."
Tyler Russell's Director Statement
"I had the idea years ago about a good hearted small town sheriff who gets disowned by his town when he was only doing the right thing, ultimately showing them he was right. I'm a huge fan of small town comedy/thriller films and this was such a blessing to make this film. We only had 2 days to film and it rained 80% of the time (hence the mud in the film). The cast and crew powered through and we were able to shoot eight pages from the feature film script. I firmly believe George Hardy and Mark Borchardt deserve a legit movie, these guys are so positive to the film community, they bust their ass and love what they do. George hasn't had an acting role in a feature film since "Troll 2" in 1990. Both George and Mark have shaped my film career in not only their films, but off screen in my life as well. The goal is to shoot the feature film of this short film."
Texas Cotton: The Story Behind the Story
We caught up with the Texas Cotton Film Crew, for a behind-the-scenes look at the production of this comedy film.
- Why did you think that your film was a good fit for the Austin Comedy Short FF?
"Austin + Comedy = Boom"
- What inspired you and your team to make this film and how did you come up with the title? "The Cast + The Story + The South = Cotton is the #1 crop in Texas, we shot the film in Texas."
- What made the actors interested in being a part of your film? "I had worked with them before on another film, I told them they wouldn't get their reel footage if they didn't work on Texas Cotton."
- How were you able to get the locations for your film? "We shot it when the land owners were asleep."
- Can you talk about your sources of funding and favors that you received to complete this film? "We told the cast and crew this was their big break ... and they actually believed it."
- Has creating this short film helped the careers of the people involved in any way "We've accomplished a level of debt that only few filmmakers have achieved."
- What were some of the challenges that you encountered while making this film "Mud ... lots of mud."
- In what city and state was this film shot on location? "Johnson City, Texas (Hill Country)"
- Can you tell us about a time when something really funny happened on set, that didn't get caught on camera? "Mark fell face first in the mud. I was scared but the crew laughed. I was mostly worried about his shirt....that was a nice shirt."
- Can you list any awards, nominations or official selections for this film? "Sidewalk Film Festival, Austin Film Festival, Highland Park Independent Film Festival, Rockport Film Festival"