Rekindled, Directed by Erin Brown Thomas
The comedy short film directed by Erin Brown Thomas, Rekindled, is an official selection of the Austin Comedy Short Film Festival Fall 2017.
- Director: Erin Brown Thomas
- Writer: Kelly Vrooman
- Producer: Jane Hollon
- Runtime: 12 min 26 sec
- Category: Comedy Short Film
- Synopsis: "After a string of failed relationships, successful career woman Kate gets the chance via a magical Groupon to rekindle romance with the love of her life, her high school boyfriend. But as she soon discovers, the 40% discount is there for a reason."
- Facebook | Website
- Review: "A great combination of original music, strong acting and a very funny screenplay about a lady that can't seem to get over her high school ex. Meeting her ex, doesn't go exactly as planned. The awkward moments between the actors is the real treat. It's a repeatable format that could easily be a network sitcom."
Erin Brown Thomas: Director's Biography
Erin Brown Thomas is a director/editor/writer/producer, whose work in film and television has taken her across the United States and around the globe. She has worked in one or several capacities on projects with Selena Gomez, Eminem, Topher Grace, Sarah Silverman, Zach Galifianakis, The Olsen Twins, Casey Wilson, Tony Hale, Andy Richter, Reggie Watts, & SNL’s Kyle Mooney and Beck Bennett. Her commercial clients have included the United States Marine Corp, the J. Walter Thompson ad agency, Interscope Records, Universal Music Group, Radio Disney, Belvedere Vodka, Apartment Therapy, Gensler, and Nestle.
Erin directed Erika Christensen (PARENTHOOD) and Doug Jones (PAN’S LABYRINTH) in ADOPTED: THE ORIGINAL SERIES, a comedy (in post production) in the vein of Modern Family. Additionally, TOKYO PROJECT, a film she edited for Executive Producer Lena Dunham (GIRLS), and Emmy-winning director Richard Shepard, premiered at the 2017 Tribeca Film Festival. The film stars Elisabeth Moss (HANDMAID’S TALE; MAD MEN.)
Erin directed several other films including: HOTWIRE, an action short film starring Teri Reeves (CHICAGO FIRE); CHASING HAYES, a small town love story starring Kent Boyd (SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE); FAMILY, a narrative short entirely in Russian; WILDMAN ATHLETICA, showcasing the aerial silks talents of Christa B. Allen (REVENGE) and Troian Bellisario (PRETTY LITTLE LIARS); and the visually haunting ONCE UPON A DREAM. Erin’s work in music videos has won awards in several international festivals and has been featured on MTVu and vh1.com, shooting indie artists to the front of public attention. COURAGE IS was picked up by ABC Family for broadcast nationwide.
More projects are in the works
Erin is currently writing two narrative features which she will direct, both with established producers attached— NICOLE, which is a love story that can be described as Her meets Being John Malkovich; and SPLIT—which explores the way sexual shame bifurcates female relationships. Finally, Erin continues to collaborate with Kelly Vrooman. The dream team is developing both feature properties and a televison show inspired by REKINDLED.
Erin Brown Thomas: Director's Statement
One of the narratives I see continually played out in popular culture is the praise and pursuit of an all-consuming love. “If you’re not feeling it anymore, it’s no longer love - maybe it was never even love to begin with.” This narrative has been so weaved into the fabric of our culture that it’s rarely ever challenged. I believe the singular pursuit of this false sort of love leads to the disillusionment and destruction of so many relationships. Even worse, it drives people into unhealthy attachments where the intoxicating rush of feeling “out of your league” displaces the ability to feel safe and be vulnerable. My film, Rekindled, explores the idea that the feelings of all-consuming love are the product of manipulation and control.
Rekindled: The Story Behind The Story
- Why did you think that your film was a good fit for the Austin Comedy Short Film Freeway? "Rekindled is a comedy with original comedic music. I've spent a lot of time in Austin and love the city. I'm thrilled to be playing there!"
- What inspired you and your team to make this film and how did you come up with the title? "Kelly Vrooman (writer and lead actress) wrote an article for the Huff post about her messed up high school relationship. I asked her if we could find a way to explore manipulate relationships, but do so in a comedy (since she is a comedian). We met up for breakfast and I pitched an idea that eventually became Rekindled! We got the tile after writing the script. The word "rekindled" stood out - its also the name of the Groupon-type website from the film."
- What made the actors interested in being a part of your film? "Our actors were mostly friends that heard the script or believed in us from past films we've done."
- How were you able to get the locations for your film? "Some of them we paid for. Others we stole :)"
- Can you talk about your sources of funding and favors that you received to complete this film? "Sooooo many favors. You have to give favors to take them, and I had stored up a lot. We also raised 10k on Kickstarter."
- Has creating this short film helped the careers of the people involved in any way? "Tremendously. Its gotten us lots of meetings. We've had 27 official selections in just a few short months. Our next goal is to win a comedy festival (wink)."
- What were some of the challenges that you encountered while making this film? "We had to do a night shoot to make our dinner location work which is tough on everyone physically. Also, hunting down everyone for their yearbook photo (for our credits sequence) took FOREVER. It was totally worth it!"
- In what city and state was this film shot on location? "Los Angeles, CA"
- Can you tell us about a time when something really funny happened on set, that didn't get caught on camera? "We filmed the sex scene right before the "pile of guys" scene. When the director and AD went to fetch the guys from holding and ask them to get "camera ready" - we found that they were already all in their underwear, bonding. They had been that way for over an hour, since they got their briefs from our costumer, Cassidy. They all had a blast with the role. Later that night, after we wrapped, our director Erin asked the producing team where one of the guys came from - she didn't' remember casting him. Turns out, no one from the crew knew where he came from! Days later we found out that one of the actors brought his friend to set, and in order to fit in, his friend stripped down to underwear while hanging with the guys in holding. He made a bold move and came to set with the rest of the actors when they were called. No one noticed- he had a great look and was given a line."
- Can you list any awards, nominations or official selections for this film? "WINNER - Canton Film Fest, OFFICIAL SELECTION - Palm Springs International Shortfest (Oscar Qualifier) OFFICIAL SELECTION - FLICKERS Rhode Island International Film Festival (Oscar Qualifier) OFFICIAL SELECTION - Cleveland International (Oscar Qualifier) OFFICIAL SELECTION - Athens International Film + Vido (Oscar Qualifier) OFFICIAL SELECTION - LA Shorts (Oscar Qualifier) OFFICIAL SELECTION - Hollyshorts (Oscar Qualifier) OFFICIAL SELECTION - Crested Butte Film Festival OFFICIAL SELECTION - Sci Fi London OFFICIAL SELECTION - Media Film Festival OFFICIAL SELECTION - Ploiesti International Film Festival OFFICIAL SELECTION - Salute Your Shorts Fest OFFICIAL SELECTION - Midwest Independent Film Festival OFFICIAL SELECTION - ACME comedy OFFICIAL SELECTION - Emerge Microcinema OFFICIAL SELECTION - Funcinema OFFICIAL SELECTION - San Jose International Film Festival OFFICIAL SELECTION - AM Egypt OFFICIAL SELECTION - Napa Valley Film Festival OFFICIAL SELECTION - Comedy shorts film festival OFFICIAL SELECTION - Sidewalk Film Festival OFFICIAL SELECTION - Orlando Film Fest OFFICIAL SELECTION - Bend Film Fest OFFICIAL SELECTION - Pittsburgh Shorts OFFICIAL SELECTION - Coronado Film Festival OFFICIAL SELECTION - Austin Comedy Short Film Festival Announcing more soon!!!!"