Austin Comedy Short Film Festival
Fall 2017 Official Selection
- Film Title: "George and Monty: The Documentary"
- Screening: Session 1 November 14th, 2017
- Official Website | Facebook | Funny or Die
- Runtime: 7 Minutes and 14 Seconds
- Category: Short Film
- Awards: TBA
- Director: John Schwert
- This film was shot on location in Charlotte, North Carolina
- Actors: Starring Jason King and John Schwert
- Tagline: "George & Monty are a dynamic marketing duo known for creating, borrowing, and stealing ad campaigns from the most recognizable brands in the country. The documentary reviews the ups and downs of their 'careers' and the people they left in their wake."
- Review: John Schwert and Jason King set the bar high with this hilarious mockumentary.
"George and Monty: The Documentary" was so well executed with the editing, comedic timing and laughs, that this was an easy decision for the judges. There wasn't one bad scorecard. These two guys are obviously seasoned pros with a great reputation on 'Funny or Die.' We caught up with Director John Schwert for an interview.
- Why did you think that your film was a good fit for the Austin Comedy Short FF? “Primarily because it's comedy and your festival has a good reputation for showing funny shorts.”
- What inspired you and your team to make this film and how did you come up with the title? “It's a "look-back" on our George & Monty web-series which we've been doing for Funny or Die for about 5 years.”
- What made the actors interested in being a part of your film? “We're dummies, we're the actors and the writers and the producers.”
- How were you able to get the locations for your film? “We (Jason & John) have done location scouting/managing for tv and film for about ten years so we had a good pool to pull from.”
- Can you talk about your sources of funding and favors that you received to complete this film? “Self-financed, we spent under $1000 - which we stole from the donations jar at McDonalds.”
- Has creating this short film helped the careers of the people involved in any way?
“Yes, Jason does stand-up professionally and John was just hired to direct a comedic campaign for Dirt Devil and for Myrtle Beach Tourism.”
- What were some of the challenges that you encountered while making this film? “Getting the actors from our previous shorts to come back and play their role again, mainly scheduling.”
- Can you tell us about a time when something really funny happened on set, that didn't get caught on camera? “We do a lot of alternate takes/improv when we film so there's about 400 alternate lines for a lot of the scenes; and the pregnant girl actually had to lay down and relax a few times when we filmed her part.”
- Can you list any awards, nominations or official selections for this film? “It played as part of the Charlotte Film Community, which is just a local meet-up group, but Austin will be the true premiere.”