"For The Love Of God"
The comedy short screenplay, For The Love Of God, written by Kushal Dhungana is an official selection of the Austin Comedy Short Film Festival Fall 2017.
- Links: Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter | Website
- Category: Short Screenplay
- Screenwriter: Kushal Dhungana
- Tagline: "Feeling lost and running out of answers, Katie turns to God for support. The only problem: God is a shitty boyfriend."
- Review: "Kushal Dhungana's not only does a good job of developing the lead actress Katie, for this comical adventure, but also develops a view of 'God' in a way that has quirks and flaws of his own."
"For The Love of God" The Story Behind the Story
- What is the title of your screenplay and why did you think that your screenplay was a good fit for the Austin Comedy Short FF? “My screenplay was very silly, zany, and I thought that Austin Comedy Short FF would reward a quality script with those qualities.”
- What inspired you to write this screenplay and how did you come up with the title? “I kept seeing a lot of articles popping up that told people "How To Fall in Love with God" in order to help solve personal problems. I thought I could put a spin on that by actually having God as a bad boyfriend that you try to fall back in love with. And the title plays on this by using the common expression, "for the love of God."
- What was your inspiration for some of the characters in your screenplay? “I see a lot of annoying, distant guys in relationships, and I thought it would be funny to fit God as that persona.”
- In your mind, where do you see this story taking place and why? “I see it taking place in modern-day society. I think the duo works funnier if it's a modern relationship.”
- What were some of the creative challenges that you encountered while writing this screenplay? “A lot of criticisms from religious people, or people who thought that it was wrong to portray God in certain ways.”
- Did you have any funny or weird ideas that popped into your head while writing this screenplay, that didn't make the final draft? “There's a scene where God is trying to have sex with his girlfriend but can't stay erect. It was bizarre, and I'm kind of glad it didn't make it into the final draft, but I think of that image way too much.”
- Can you list any awards, nominations or official selections for this film? “WILDsound Film Festival's Short Screenplay Contest Winner (a modified 1pg version of the script won).”