Austin Comedy Short Film Festival
Fall 2017 Official Selection
Dumbboat Directed by Laura Spini & Laurence Brook
The dark comedy short film Directed by Laura Spini & Laurence Brook, Dumbboat, is an official selection of the Austin Comedy Short Film Festival Fall 2017. London, UK
Dumbboat: The Story Behind the Story
We caught up with the Dumbboat Film Crew, for a behind-the-scenes look at the production of this comedy film.
- Why did you think that your film was a good fit for the Austin Comedy Short FF? "It has at least one joke in it. Most of our previous comedies do not."
- What inspired you and your team to make this film and how did you come up with the title? "We were in a rut, as we couldn't get other projects financed, so we felt very much like the protagonist of Dumbboat (including having an abnormally high intake of snacks during this period). The title stems from a brainstorming session regarding what term would be the silliest for a child to be adamant is real."
- What made the actors interested in being a part of your film? "We previously worked with both actors, and we have a great working relationship. The young girl got the opportunity to spend two days throwing sweets at a grown man. As far as the grown man ... we're not sure. Probably wouldn't have accepted if he knew exactly what was in store for him."
- How were you able to get the locations for your film? "We live in that house."
- Can you talk about your sources of funding and favors that you received to complete this film? "We paid the cast, but the crew was mostly us and our excellent cinematographer Tian. We colour graded the film with our own equipment, and paid for a professional mix with part of a fund that was set up by our friends when we got married."
- What were some of the challenges that you encountered while making this film? "Creating an environment where the two actors would feel free to do whatever stupid things seemed right at the time."
- Can you tell us about a time when something really funny happened on set, that didn't get caught on camera? "Our lead actor Bradley completely improvising an RnB song on the theme of Brexit, called "Brexilicious"
- Can you list any awards, nominations or official selections for this film? "Lago Film Festival - National Competition; Norwich Film Festival; Leicester International Short Film Festival; SNOB Film Festival"