Austin Comedy Short Film Festival
Fall 2017 Official Selection
Doucheaholics, Directed by Sean McCarthy
The comedy television series directed by Sean McCarthy, Doucheaholics Episodes "Ted" and "Laura," are an official selection of the Austin Comedy Short Film Festival Fall 2017. Doucheaholics "Laura" is the winner of the Best Cinematography Award.
Doucheaholics: The Story Behind the Story
We caught up with the, Doucheaholics film crew, for a behind-the-scenes look at the production of this comedy film.
- Why did you think that your film was a good fit for the Austin Comedy Short FF? "We had screened with their sister festival Portland Comedy Short FF last year, and the festival founders along with the festival itself were amazing. The reception for the film was overwhelmingly positive and we wanted to continue to share our work with this community as dedicated to comedy as we are."
- What inspired you and your team to make this film and how did you come up with the title? "We were inspired by everyday life. Our series is called 'Doucheaholics,' and the purpose is to hold a mirror up to society and depict our flaws and short comings that we can't help having as human beings. There's so much judgement out in the world, we wanted to show that each of us--no matter who we are, where we are, or what we do--have a douche inside of us. This premise could have gone either way, but we chose comedy over drama to add levity to the crazy world around us, and also to show the most important thing about self awareness should be the ability to not only recognize your flaws and hopefully work on them, but to be able to laugh at yourself too."
- What made the actors interested in being a part of your film? "We tailored each part to each actor we had in mind. Everyone you'll see on camera had their role written specifically for them, so I think for them it was hard to turn it down. Actors love personal attention you know 😉 Also, some of the roles were not just written because we knew they would kill it (which they all did), but because we knew they could pull off roles like these and they've never been given the chance before. We know all these actors personally and wanted to see them grow in their craft and shine like stars."
- How were you able to get the locations for your film? "Cast, crew, family generosity. Lots of begging and bribing. #indiefilmmakers!"
- Can you talk about your sources of funding and favors that you received to complete this film? "This labor of love is currently all self funded. Because this was coming out of our own pockets, we had to be clever and really stretch a penny into a hundie. We also have a donations page on website, www.doucheaholics.com which people have contributed to just because they love the title and have faith that just by the name Doucheaholics alone that it will be worth it!"
- Has creating this short film helped the careers of the people involved in any way? "Yes! In fact, the lead actresses in episodes 2 and 6 were able to secure agents in Los Angeles based on clips from their performances in their episodes!"
- What were some of the challenges that you encountered while making this film? "We shoot long takes, multiple angles, numerous times. So the days run long. Always, Even with an A+ cast in front on the camera and the most stellar and pro crew one could hope for, we still shot for sometimes 15, 18 hours. So stamina was a challenge, but it was always worth it because we knew if we kept shooting we'd only get better and funnier scenes. And the whole production was on board and happy to play in the interest of making the best possible result!"
- In what city and state was this film shot on location? If outside the US, what city and country? If multiple places, please list them. "In and around San Jose, Ca and San Carlos, Ca. It's essentially a SF Bay Area production.
- Can you tell us about a time when something really funny happened on set, that didn't get caught on camera? "We always have 2 cameras rolling, so if something funny happens, at least one will catch it!"
- Can you list any awards, nominations or official selections for this film? "We have won 11 awards for our pilot, and the 2 showing with you just won BEST WEB SERIES at Dances With Films festival in LA this last June."