Austin Comedy Short Film Festival
Fall 2017 Official Selection
"Destrier" Comedy Film from Canada
The Comedy film, "Destier" is an official selection of the Austin Comedy Short Film Festival Fall 2017 directed by Philippe David Gagne.
- Film Title: "Destrier"
- Director: Philippe David Gagne
- Runtime: 6 Minutes 42 sec
- Category: Comedy Short Film
- Tagline: "On a cold winter day, Guillaume, a broken-hearted lover, attempts to regain his honor on a frozen bay."
- Website | IMDb
- Review: "This is a very impressive film, first off, because the entire movie is completed in one long six minute shot without cutting. Also, this story of middle aged chivalry, takes place in modern times with snowmobiles. You really don't understand exactly what is happening until the end, and then it all makes sense. The judges panel enjoyed watching this one twice. An excellent comedy from Canada."
Destrier: The Story Behind the Story
- Why did you think that your film was a good fit for the Austin Comedy Short FF? "Because it's a comedy but with a cinematic achievement."
- What inspired you and your team to make this film and how did you come up with the title? "The title refers to the old ways, DESTRIER means a horse, in medieval times. I had to do a movie about winter, about the fjord where I live and I thought of a play on masculinity, chivalry and what it means nowadays."
- What made the actors interested in being a part of your film? "The difficult task of doing a one shot film, in the winter, with some stunts, was a great challenge for both the actors and the crew."
- How were you able to get the locations for your film? "I went to the ice fishing village, found the cabin I wanted and waited for the owner to ask them. They were nice enough to say yes!"
- Can you talk about your sources of funding and favors that you received to complete this film? "We had a very small budget, so only one day to rehearse and shot, so it was a great challenge to get the shot. We almost ran out of light but we managed to get 3 usable shots. I had to ask many favors, to my family and friends, to lend the skidoos, the cabin."
- What were some of the challenges that you encountered while making this film? "Not enough time, not enough money and dealing with cold weather."
- In what city and state was this film shot on location? If outside the US, what city and country? If multiple places, please list them. "It was shot in La Baie, Quebec, Canada."
- Can you list any awards, nominations or official selections for this film? "Festival REGARD sur le court au Saguenay, Canada •Festival Les Percéides, Canada •Festival de cinema en Abitibi-Témiscamingue, Canada •Hamilton film festival, Canada •Festival Séquence court-métrage, France •Festival de cinema de la ville de Québec"